Smithsonian Institution Program Manager (Facilities) in Washington, District Of Columbia
About the Agency
This position is located in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). The National Museum of African American History and Culture is the largest national museum for the study and exhibition of African American history and culture. Its primary purposes are to acquire, maintain and preserve objects which document social, cultural, political, military, technological and scientific developments in the United States related to the African American experience; to conduct scholarly research designed to make significant contributions to the body of knowledge in the field of African American history, to publish findings for both scholarly and general audiences; and to interpret historical developments through public exhibits and programs as well as digital content.
This position is in the Office of Operations, National Museum of African American History and Culture and is supervised by the Assistant Director for Facilities Planning and Business Programs. Facilities are the new Museum, leased space in Capital Gallery, Pennsy and other spaces as identified. Duties include:
- identifying and developing priorities for facilities improvement projects and services needed to meet overall programmatic objectives in the areas of African American historical, cultures, and art research, collections management, exhibitions, and administration;
- gathering and analyzing a variety of operating data to develop reports and evaluate operating results;
- assisting in establishing facilities operations including all phases of FF&E;, staff move, safety, facilities operations, protection services, business operations and public/special events;
- assisting in the direction, planning, management, review and evaluation of major, long-range infrastructure building projects affecting every component of Museum activities; and
- in conjunction with or in the absence of the Assistant Director liasing with offices within the Museum, Smithsonian Facilities (SF); and Smithsonian Enterprises (SE).
- Occasional Travel
- Some travel may be required.
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
Experience:You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined asmaintaining, evaluating and managing multiple programs; facilitating large scale FF&E; programs/projects; developing and analyzing business operations models to develop, evaluate and refine concepts and proposals; gathering and analyzing a variety of operating data to develop reports, evaluating operations results; monitoring contracts; and coordinating large multifaceted teams involved in such programs. This experience must have been in a museum or similar environment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements, including one year time-in-grade at the next lower grade level for promotion candidates, must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
At the end of the application process you will be able to create and save a PDF file that contains your responses to the assessment questions. You may save this file as initial receipt of your application. After the job announcement closes, you will receive an email from the Smithsonian with confirmation of receipt. The Smithsonian receives many applications for each job. Each application is reviewed carefully which may take a few weeks. We will send you an e-mail to update you as we go through phases of the application review process. You may also check your application status by logging into www.usajobs.gov and selecting the tab "My USAJOBS;" e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or by contacting the Office of Human Resources Representative listed.
- Tips on applying for Smithsonian jobs are available at www.sihr.si.edu/jobs.cfm.
- The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses.
- The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity (www.si.edu/oeema).
Review our benefits
Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472337300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $92,145.00 to $119,794.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0340-13/13
Promotion Potential: 13
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: This position is open to current and former Federal employees with permanent status or reinstatement eligibility. Individuals who are eligible for a special appointing authority may also apply; such as applicants with a disability, former Peace Corps volunteers, certain military spouses, veterans seeking a VRA/VEOA appointment, or veterans who have been separated from armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service.
Control Number: 472337300
Job Announcement Number: 17R-YH-302875-MPA-NMAAHC