Internal Revenue Service SUPERVISORY INDIVIDUAL TAX ADVISORY SPECIALIST *MSP* TEMP NTE 1 YR, MBE,MBP* (Field Assistance Group Manager) in Rockville, Maryland
About the Agency
WHAT DOES A FRONTLINE MANAGER DO?As a Front Line Manager, first level supervisor, you will be responsible for assigning, directing, and reviewing the work of subordinate employees. You will use your leadership skills and management techniques for planning, scheduling, and coordinating work operations, planning and carrying out the training and development of employees, evaluating employees' work performance, and in performing all other related administrative functions. Generally, you will direct the work operations of subordinates performing administrative, complex clerical, technical and/or work comparable in nature. The functions, activities, and services provided may have limited geographic coverage and support activities within specific agency program segments.
*WHAT IS THE WAGE & INVESTMENT (W&I;) DIVISION:*The Wage & Investment Division (W&I;) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. Key W&I; objectives are to provide high-quality taxpayer assistance, and to enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns, make payments and receive assistance. W&I; partners with private organizations to provide assistance to such disadvantaged groups as elderly and low-income taxpayers.
Position is temporary not to exceed 1 year. May be extended, may become permanent without further competition. One (1) position located in Wage & Investment, Customer Assistance Relationship and Education (CARE)/ Field Assistance located at 6010 Executive Blvd, Rockville MD 20852 (MD1248).
As a FrontLine Manager you will:
- Plan work to be accomplished by subordinates, sets and adjusts short-term priorities, and prepares schedules for completion of work.
- Assign work to subordinates based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and requirements of assignments, and the capabilities of employees.
- Evaluate work performance of subordinates and makes recommendations for outstanding performance recognition and/or disciplinary action.
- Give advice, counsel, or instruction to employees on work and administrative matters.
- Interview candidates for positions within the organization/unit, and recommend appointment, promotion, or reassignment to such positions.
- Hear and resolve complaints from employees, refer group grievances and/or more serious unresolved complaints as appropriate.
- Effect minor disciplinary measures, such as warnings and reprimands, recommend other actions in more serious cases.
- Identify developmental and training needs of employees, providing or arranging for needed development and training.
- Initiate ways to improve production, work processes, and/or to increase the quality of the work directed. WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov.
- Occasional Travel
- Local and/or overnight travel 1-5 nights per month may be required.
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS (FRONTLINE MANAGER): You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the next lower level within the payband or GS grade in the normal line of progression in the Federal service. To be qualifying for this position your experience should be sufficient to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of management techniques, methods, theories, principles, and labor relations concepts, to assure optimum utilization of personnel, equipment, and space for the accomplishment of all program objectives with combined technical and administrative oversight;
- Knowledge and understanding of regulations, other official guidance and principles, including the latest procedures and techniques sufficient to oversee the planning, development and implementation of the technical aspects of programs specific to the position being filled;
- Knowledge of basic budget management principles and practices (i.e. ability to maintain and manage financial resources); and
- Knowledge of communicative techniques to effectively and diplomatically interact with internal and external customers.
- Knowledge and experience in tax law, collection procedures, and auditing.
Skill in providing assistance and dealing effectively with taxpayers and their representatives to provide and promote quality customer service.
The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS “My Account” tab and clicking on “Application Status.” For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on “more information.” Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
Review our benefits
POSITION DESCRIPTION: 96344 A PM/C SharePoint site is available for IRS Employees at: https://organization.ds.irsnet.gov/sites/HCOETS/PMC/SPDLibrary/SitePages/Home.aspx**
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT**:
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a non-bargainingunit position.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
- Subject to a 1-year supervisory or managerial probationary period (unless already completed).
- Position is temporary not to exceed 1 year. May be extended, may become permanent without further competition.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472396000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $94,796.00 to $123,234.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: IR-0501-05/05
Promotion Potential: 05
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: Current IRS employees on a Career or Career Conditional appointment in the competitive service.
Control Number: 472396000
Job Announcement Number: 17CE4-WIM0227-0501-05-DL