Geological Survey Secretary (OA), GS-0318-09 (MP - MP) in Reston, Virginia
About the Agency
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
This is a time-limited assignment not-to-exceed 1 year or less which may be extended up to a total of 5 years or terminated. This will not be made permanent and does not have the eligibility to be made permanent without further competition.** Salary:
- GS-09: $54,972 (Step 01) to $71,467 (Step 10) Note: First time hires to federal government are typically hired at the Step 01.
As a Secretary (OA) within the Office of the Regional Director, some of your specific duties will include:
- Managing the support functions of the Regional Director and responding to internal and external customers.
- Providing the focus for all correspondence, calls, visitors, and file maintenance.
- Controlling the Regional Director's calendar and schedules meetings/appointments.
- Drafting letters/memos and preparing documents in Microsoft Office Suite for the Regional Director.
- Maintaining an effective working relationship and dealing with stressful situations and changing priorities.
- Not Required
- Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year probationary period.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
- For information on basic qualifications, which includes information on whether you may substitute education for specialized experience, please click on the following: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/sw/quals/0318.html.
- Applicants must meet the following to qualify for the GS-9 level:
**One year of specialized experience in or directly related to the position to be filled that equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. To be creditable, the required specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-8 level in the Federal service.
Examples of GS-8 level work may include: 1) controlling the supervisor's activities schedule: setting up or refusing appointments, accepting or declining invitations to meetings, arranging for representation by a subordinate official when that was desirable, briefing the supervisor on the subject matter prior to a meeting and assembling background information for the supervisor without direction; 2) shifting clerical staff in subordinate units to accommodate fluctuating workloads; 3) reviewing all correspondence for the supervisor's signature for grammar, construction, format, attachments, continuity of text, and compliance with the supervisor's viewpoint and advising writer's of inadequacies; 4) composing correspondence based on knowledge of supervisor's views and desires and signing correspondence for the supervisor in his/her absence when technical or policy content was previously cleared. For examples 1-4, work was assigned in terms of overall objectives and required responding to frequent deadlines, changing priorities, and/or office emergencies without supervision. Handled a wide variety of situations and conflicts independently, using initiative to determine approach to be taken or methods to be used. Used judgment to interpret and adapt guidelines in specific situations. * You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- If you are a Federal employee applying for a promotion (under merit promotion procedures) you must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
What To Expect Next
- If you are rated as one of the most highly qualified candidates, you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30-45 days of the closing date of this announcement. You will be notified via email of the outcome. You can also go to "My Account" within USAJOBS to review your Application Status.
Review our benefits
- USGS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval. The official worksite for the selectee is the duty station identified in this vacancy announcement. The selectee will typically report to this duty location on a regular and recurring weekly basis.
- For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html.
- Working for the U.S. Geological Survey offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; health, life, dental, vision, and long term care insurance, flexible spending accounts, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System.
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
- Identification of promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. Promotion will depend upon administrative approval and the continuing need for and performance of higher-level duties.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472445300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $54,972.00 to $71,467.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0318-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Current internal employees of the USGS serving on perm competitive service appts; current USGS employees, regardless of current status, who are elig for consideration under a noncompetitive auth such as those specific to 30% disabled vets, Vets Recruitment Appt, Individuals with Disabilities, reins-elig, Pathways Interns & Recent Grads who are elig for noncomp conversion, etc.; current or former employees who are serving, or previously served, on temp or term appt in a land mgmt agency.
Control Number: 472445300
Job Announcement Number: RES-2017-0217