The MITRE Corporation Enterprise IT Systems Data Engineer - Intern in McLean, Virginia
JobTitle Enterprise IT Systems Data Engineer - Intern
Job Highlights Join MITRE’s corporate IT center and use the math and engineering skills you are learning in college to help resolve IT operations issues and create proactive solutions to prevent them in the future.
You’ll be part of the Enterprise Systems Monitoring team and will work closely with other IT Operations and Development teams to collect, summarize, visualize, and analyze data that is used to manage MITRE’s enterprise infrastructure and applications.
You’ll use tools such as Excel, Tableau, Splunk, and possibly R, to create reports and dashboards that will be used to diagnose the root cause of performance problems, compare the performance of services before and after changes, and help staff better manage their IT systems.
This is a unique opportunity to leverage academic skills in statistics and data analysis and apply them to create solutions that will be used by corporate IT staff.
This position is for 3 months as a summer intern.
Why Should I Consider MITRE?
Working at MITRE at http://www.mitre.org/careers/working-at-mitre
In this position, the candidate will strengthen his/her knowledge of the fundamentals of data analysis and statistics by applying principles and best practices to do the following:
• Analyze IT operations data to help find the root cause of application performance issues
• Perform before-after analyses to determine the impact of IT infrastructure and enterprise application changes
• Use tools like Splunk to transform raw IT log data into meaningful reports and dashboards that operations development staff can use to better manage their systems.
Key functions the candidate will be exposed to include:
• Statistical summarization techniques
• Data visualization and reporting
• Data analysis
• Summarizing analysis results and communicating them to management
Other relevant knowledge the candidate may have an opportunity to learn include:
• Evaluating data analysis tools
• Improving oral and written presentation skills
Location MA,VA: Bedford or McLean
Ideal candidates are undergraduate students pursuing a degree in mathematics, engineering, or other relevant technical disciplines.
• Data analysis
• Data visualization
• Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
• Basic programming or scripting skills are not necessary, but would be a plus
• Familiarity with tools such as Splunk, Tableau, R, etc. are not necessary, but would be a plus
Highly relevant courses:
• Statistics and data analysis
Minimum Education/ Experience Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree
Travel Statement No travel required.
Clearance Not Required
Security Clearance is not required for this initial assignment. However for future opportunities a government security investigation may be required.
Relocation Assistance Provided No
Career Level Intern
Professional Area Information Technology
Req ID 28638BR