ASM Research Accounting Specialist in Fairfax, Virginia
General Summary Provides basic or routine accounting support for one or more financial accounting areas, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger accounting, and account reconciliation. Receives and applies customer and vendor payments, promptly researches any discrepancies, performs reconciliations as necessary, and records deposits in a timely manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists accounts payable by providing timely and accurate payment processing.
• Inputs credit and debits into the accounting system.
• Assists with maintaining accounting records and reports. Responsible for proper filing of all necessary documents.
• Summarizes individual ledgers and transfers data to the general ledger. • Maintains accounts by identifying, verifying and recording transactions.
• Assists with balancing accounts, compiling information and preparing financial and accounting reports.
• Develops and maintains basic reports via the company’s accounting system.
• Ensures proper documentation is received and coded for job costing and expense reports.
• Performs all work according to applicable rules and regulations including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), regulatory requirements, and organization policies and procedures
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: 0-2 years of accounting experience
Candidates may be subject to a government background investigation and must meet eligibility criteria for access to classified information. U.S. Citizenship is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Basic understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); experience with Cost Accounting Standards and the Federal Acquisition Regulations a plus. • Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word. • Good analytical and organizational skills. • Strong interpersonal and communication skills. • Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment. • Basic knowledge of accounting principles preferred. • Strong customer service skills, in respect to dealing with employees, supervisors, and external contacts. • Knowledge of Costpoint, Deltek, or other accounting software systems a plus.