University of Maryland, College Park Student Services Coordinator in College Park, Maryland
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position
The Student Services Coordinator assists international students in their adjustment to the Intensive English Program, UMD, and American culture.
BA/BS degree required with three years of related work experience such as:
- Significant experience working with international students at a university in the US;
- experience in event planning;
- experience with learning at least one foreign language
- Understanding of US university system and the culture of US higher education;
- understanding of adjustment issues faced by international students in the US;
- demonstrated ability to organize and carry out logistically complex, detail-oriented projects;
- familiarity with or willingness to learn about DC-area attractions that would make interesting excursions for students;
- excellent oral and written communications skills in English;
- proficiency in standard office computer programs and systems;
- proficiency in using social media to
promote MEI and its activities
Master’s Degree Preferred
Daily computer work, Extensive telephone communications with outside vendors and venues to plan student activities, ability to lead student groups on field trips (walking on varied terrain; taking public transportation and chartered buses) High volume work at beginning of semester and end of semester.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Functional Title: Student Services Coordinator
Category Status: 33-Exempt Regular
Applicant Search Category: Staff
University Authorized FTE: 1.0
Unit: EDUC-Dean-Maryland English Institute
Posting Date: 06/19/2017
Closing Date: 07/02/2017