American Public University System Specialist, Business Office in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 17-0055
Post Date 4/14/2017
Title Specialist, Business Office
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
• Reports To: Manager, Business Office
• Department: Finance - Operations
• Office Location: Charles Town, WV
• FLSA Status: Non-exempt
• Date Posted: April 14, 2017
• Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Specialist, Business Office is responsible for cash processing and application, refund processing, account maintenance and reporting, reconciliation, invoicing to third parties, research inquiries, and customer service for all types of funding received at American Public University System (APUS). This position requires excellent customer service and problem solving skills.
• Prepares, processes, and applies payment information for various pay types including financial aid, credit card, automated clearing house (ACH), check, scholarship, and electronic funds transfer (EFT) paid by third parties and students.
• Prepares and processes daily refunds to third party vendors, students, and the Department of Education (DoE) via check, direct deposit, and ACH.
• Completes daily reconciliation of cash and accounts receivable transactions.
• Performs student account maintenance to include application of funds and miscellaneous transactions.
• Prepares and processes tuition assistance documentation for invoicing including electronic processing with different agencies.
• Collects tuition assistance funding from third party agencies.
• Assists with research and clean up to include past due invoices, payment issues, and refunds.
• Assists with graduation audits.
• Assists students, third party vendors, and other departments on telephone and via e-mail regarding account questions.
• Completes monthly accounting work papers.
• Interacts with other departments and third parties to achieve daily goals.
• Ensures compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX) and DoE guidelines in daily processing.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Occasional weekend and overtime hours as required for business needs.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service to a diverse population.
• Ability to work in a team oriented environment with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to solve problems while handling sensitive, confidential information.
• Associate degree preferred.
• Minimum of two years of business office experience required.
• Experience with Windows-based applications (specifically Excel) required.